« Home | The little things... » | Reflections on Thanksgiving » | Just something to make you smile! » | The Wonder of Myspace! » | What does it mean to be a community? » | A question for the ages... » | The Return of the Jedi!!! » | Away to Camp » | Fathers Day » | An Experiment... » 

Monday, December 11, 2006 

What do you mean it's not mine?




I think that for allot of people that are not Christians that one of the things that can turn then off from Christianity is the topic of money. All you have to do is turn on your T.V. set and you will understand why. There are many ministers today (as well as in the past) that see the possibility to make allot of money as their ministry puts them into a unique position of power. The unfortunate thing is that these types of ministries are very much in the minority and yet because of what they do they will always get allot of attention. The focus of writing this article is not to talk about those people but to attempt to bring out the Biblical facts of what the purpose of giving is all about. For a committed Christian this is true Joy in giving yourself to God. This includes every area of your life. A Christian must understand that everything that we enjoy in this life is really God's. Giving is so much more then simply putting money in the collection plate. It is learning to step by step turn our lives over to the Lord.

WE ARE MANAGERS, NOT OWNERS.

What does this mean?

I find one of the most striking examples of this idea is found in
Matthew 25:14-30
The Parable of the Talents
14"Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. 15To one he gave five talents[a] of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. 17So also, the one with the two talents gained two more. 18But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.

19"After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.'

21"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

22"The man with the two talents also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.'

23"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

24"Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.'

26"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

28" 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. 29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 30And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'



We have been entrusted with life and life's resources and given the privilege of responsibly and joyfully managing them for Him.

What else does God's Word say about this?

Gen. 2:15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.

Ps. 24:1 The earth is the LORD'S, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.

1 Chron. 29:14 But whom am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.


Luke 12:48 From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

1 Tim. 6:17-19 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

How is this done?

As children of God and people that belong to Jesus Christ, and with the Holy Spirit's help, we can:

• Learn how to properly manage our life and life's resources for God's
purposes

• Live to live joyfully as we learn what proportionate living and giving in all
areas of life really means for our live.

• Receive and use God's gifts with thanksgiving.

Easier said then done!

One day it will not matter the size on our bank accounts on this Earth, only the treasures awaiting us in Heaven. The less time it takes us to understand this concept ,the more time we will spend being the kind of givers that the Lord desires us to be.

About me

  • I'm Michael Potthoff
  • From Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States
  • My name is Michael Potthoff and I am 27 years old. I was raised in League City, Texas (close to Houston) I have a beautiful, godly wife name Ruth who makes me a better man! I have been in ministry close to 5 years now and Jesus Christ is my passion. Preaching His good news is something that I truly love! I am blessed to be able to do something that I truly love.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates