« Home | A question for the ages... » | The Return of the Jedi!!! » | Away to Camp » | Fathers Day » | An Experiment... » | World Cup » | The Church Family » | Worth the Price of Admission... » | The Word of God... » | A True Shepherd! » 

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 

What does it mean to be a community?



Technology has dramatically changed the world in which we live. The use of the internet, cell phones, satellite, PDA’s, and many other devices has made this information age. We have information at our fingertips waiting for us twenty four hours, seven days a week. Some have referred to the time in which we live the communication age as it is easier then even to get in touch with someone. While I enjoy all of this technology and the convenience that it provides my life, I also see some negative aspects of technology. I am talking about the erosion of community.

Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

I do not think that this scripture is saying that if you mange to miss one Sunday at church that you are going to hell. I believe that this scripture is pointing out something much deeper. This scripture warns us to not forget how much we need each other. This scripture calls us to encourage each other as the Day is approaching. The Day of course is when Jesus Christ returns to claim His people. When we gather together to worship as a church family our first purpose must be to worship the Lord in spirit and truth but the very important secondary purpose involves encouraging one another. I talk a lot about having real relationships with one another but maybe I have forgotten to mention that bigger picture. We need to understand the importance of community. I am not talking about civic clubs or things of that nature; I am talking about this church family.

We are a spiritual community joined together by Jesus Christ. Jesus does not want us sitting in front of our computers, TV’s, and any other device we might own while neglecting the body of Christ. Jesus does not want us floating through this life sitting in front of our TV’s. Jesus wants us interacting, eating together, laughing together, and praying together. Loneliness is something that we should never experience in the church. If being a part of a loving community of faith is a taste of heaven, then certainly isolation is a bit of hell, and to that degree, here on Earth, we decide in which state we would like to live.

So turn off your computer and put down the TV remote and get to know the people that you worship with. Pick up your phone and call a brother or sister and do something together. Make a point to be more involved in the life of this church family. For that matter get to know the people that are not in the church. Get to know the people next door, your workplaces. We need to grown as we get to know all kinds of people. As we consider the church, together let us encourage one another until Jesus returns to take us home.

About me

  • I'm Michael Potthoff
  • From Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States
  • My name is Michael Potthoff and I am 27 years old. I was raised in League City, Texas (close to Houston) I have a beautiful, godly wife name Ruth who makes me a better man! I have been in ministry close to 5 years now and Jesus Christ is my passion. Preaching His good news is something that I truly love! I am blessed to be able to do something that I truly love.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates