« Home | Reflecting... » | Resonate... » | I LOVE THE NFL! » | What do you mean it's not mine? » | The little things... » | Reflections on Thanksgiving » | Just something to make you smile! » | The Wonder of Myspace! » | What does it mean to be a community? » | A question for the ages... » 

Sunday, February 11, 2007 

Faithfulness




"The question is not, 'Where is the church on Sunday?' but 'Where is the church on Monday?'"

This is a quote that I heard in college. I am not certain of the source yet there is great wisdom in this quote. It forced me to rethink how I viewed what the church really is supposed to be doing.

I had a discussion tonight with a dear brother about the true definition of faithfulness.

Faithfulness is a powerful word.

Dictionary.com defines Faithfulness as:

1. strict or thorough in the performance of duty:
2. true to one's word, promises, vows, etc.
3. steady in allegiance or affection; loyal; constant: faithful friends.
4. reliable, trusted, or believed.
5. adhering or true to fact, a standard, or an original; accurate.


At most of the churches that I have been a part of have defined faithfulness as how steady someone was in there attendance of worship services held at the church building. While I think that coming together as a church family is something that is vitally important I do not believe that it should complete our definition of what is faithful. I have come to know many people in my life that make it a point to be at their church at the appointed times throughout the week and yet seem to forget that they are a Christian unless they are in the church building. The truth is we are the church. The building that we gather at on Sunday and Wednesday nights is simply a place built to hold all of us at the same time. The real work of the church takes place outside of the building in which we meet.

I am reminded of the lyrics of a song written by Casting Crowns:

It's crowded in worship today
As she slips in
Trying to fade into the faces
The girls' teasing laughter is carrying farther than they know
Farther than they know

CHORUS
But if we are the Body
Why aren't His arms reaching
Why aren't His hands healing
Why aren't His words teaching
And if we are the Body
Why aren't His feet going
Why is His love not showing them there is a way
There is a way

A traveler is far away from home
He sheds his coat
And quietly sinks into the back row
The weight of their judgmental glances tells him that his chances
Are better out on the road

CHORUS
But if we are the Body
Why aren't His arms reaching
Why aren't His hands healing
Why aren't His words teaching
And if we are the Body
Why aren't His feet going
Why is His love not showing them there is a way

Jesus paid much too high a price
For us to pick and choose who should come
And we are the Body of Christ

Chorus
If we are the body
Why aren't His arms reaching
Why aren't His hands healing
Why aren't His words teaching
And if we are the body
Why aren't His feet going
Why is His love not showing them there is a way

Jesus is the way



If we really are the body of Christ then let Sunday be the time in which we come to share how the work of Christ is going in our everyday life. Let us come to worship services worn out from the way that we have allowed ourselves to be used build up the kingdom of God. Let us reach, teach, and serve because we are His body.

Faithfulness, it is so much more then simply attending church services. It is a life transformed by the power of God. It is a soul cleansed by the blood of Christ. It is a live that cannot be lived for anyone or anything other then Christ.

Hi, I got here through Martin's blog (ajourney.wordpress.com)

This is a fantastic post. I love the quote at the beginning, and the song lyrics, and your thoughts. I have not heard that song but I will look for it, the lyrics are very moving.
Thank you!

God bless you,
-RED

Yes, a great post mate.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Michael Potthoff
  • From Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States
  • My name is Michael Potthoff and I am 27 years old. I was raised in League City, Texas (close to Houston) I have a beautiful, godly wife name Ruth who makes me a better man! I have been in ministry close to 5 years now and Jesus Christ is my passion. Preaching His good news is something that I truly love! I am blessed to be able to do something that I truly love.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates